Work and Experience
Highlights: first Hispanic Immigrant to hold a policy making and implementation position, as well as overseeing of multimillion dollar statewide training and college preparation pro programs of the State University of New York System. First citizen born in the Republic of Panamá to succeed in gaining employment as an International Civil Servant with the International Labor Organization (Geneva, Switzerland) the first international unit of the United Nations Organization; my diplomatic status was extended later on with the joint project of the United Nations Development Program/United Nations, Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), while station in Paris, France and Bogotá, Colombia. Distinguished with a Senior Fellowship – Washington, D.C. – jointly sponsored by the Hispanic Association of Colleges and Universities (HACU) and the State University of New York (SUNY).
2000 – Present, RETIRED
Senior Administrator; the System of the State University of New York.
- 1995 – Present, STATE UNIVERSITY OF NEW YORK AT ALBANY
- Teach Sociology of Higher Education and Diversity in Higher Education courses to Masters and doctoral degree students.
- Professor (part-time) with the School of Education, Department of Education Administration and Policy Studies.
- 1998 – 2001 NOVA SOUTHEASTERN UNIVERSITY
- Taught graduate students a course on Higher Education and Societal Structures
- 1989 – 1999 OFFICE OF HISPANIC AMERICAN AFFAIRS, STATE UNIVERSITY OF NEW YORK SYSTEM ADMINISTRATION, ALBANY, NEW YORK
- 1982 – 1989 OFFICE OF SPECIAL PROGRAMS, STATE UNIVERSITY NEW YORK SYSTEM,, ALBANY, NEW YORK
- Associate for Special Programs
- 1978-1982 EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITY CENTER, STATE UNIVERSITY of NEW YORK, ROCHESTER, NEW YORK.
- Assistant Director/Coordinator of Research and Program Development
- 1971-77 STATE UNIVERSITY OF NEW YORK, COLLEGE AT BROCKPORT, BROCKPORT, NEW YORK
- 1969-70 UNITED NATIONS EDUCATION, SCIENTIFIC AND CULTURAL ORGANIZATION (UNESCO), PARIS, FRANCE AND BOGOTA, COLOMBIA
- International Civil Servant (member of team of expert advisors)
- 1968-69 UNIVERSITY OF KANSAS, USA; AND UNIVERSIDAD DE ORIENTE, VENEZUELA
- Consultant (member of team of expert advisors)
- 1961-64 ONU -INTERNATIONAL LABOR ORGANIZATION, GENEVA, SWITZERLAND fact finding meetings with college presidents, directors of EOC’s and other administrators andCampuses
- International Civil Servant – Division Head, Library and Information Services
- NOTE: SOME SPECIF EXPERIENCES: Coordinated, or initiated frequent technical assistance and fact finding meetings with college presidents, directors of EOC’s and other administrators and Faculty. Also, provided technical assistance to Latino student organizations across state Campuses.Participated in budgetary decision-making regarding allocation of millions of dollars among EOPs and EOCs and in the production of the annual SUNY-Special Programs budget request to the State Legislature (a distinct and separate SUNY volume).